Department of Cultural Anthropology and Ethnology
Information for Autumn 2021 and Spring 2022
We wish you very welcome to the department!
The starting point is that we teach on Campus during the spring semester but due to the increased spread of Covid in our community, we can make adjustments. The adjustments that apply to your course are announced in the course in Studium.
It is important that you stay up to date on your studies - there can be rapid changes in where, when and how the teaching will be carried out.
In case of online teaching it is important that you activate your account at Uppsala University Zoom and that you become familiar with the tool.
For the distance courses in ethnology, teaching takes place through the learning platform Studium and the e-meeting tool Zoom.
Admitted, admitted with conditions or on waiting list
Do you have a question?
- For questions about our courses on the campus English Park, Uppsala, contact our course administrator Angelika Holm
- For questions about our distance courses and courses on Campus Gotland, Visby, contact our study administrator Cecilia Howe
We contact those on the waiting list in turn. If you have been placed on a waiting list and can be offered a place, you will be contacted by the department by e-mail. Make sure that your contact information is correct. Sometimes our message end up in the junk box - do not forget to look there!
Registration periods spring semester 2022
- For courses starting in January, registration is open 16 December 2021 through 9 January 2022
- For courses starting in February, registration is open January 31 through February 13
- For courses starting in March, registration is open March 7 through March 20
- For courses starting in May, registration is open April 11 through April 24
Distance courses in ethnology
The distance courses in ethnology are given from Campus Gotland. Register for the course (or courses) you have been admitted to in Ladok for students.
Teaching takes place through the learning platform Studium, where you will also find all the information you need before the course starts. See the section Studium - the learning platform. Zoom is used for the courses chats.
Studium - the learning platform
All course information - schedule, teacher contacts, reading instructions, literature lists, assignments and more - can be found in the learning platform Studium.
As with registration, you must first have activated your student account to be able to log in to Studium. Please note that it may take a day or so after you have register before you can log in.
You can read our syllabi without being logged in as soon as the courses are published. This takes place continuously during the semester.
- Samläsning Etnologi A1 normal och Etnologi och folkloristik - en introduktion fristående, HT2021 (in Swedish)
- Samläsning Etnologi A2 normal och Samhällsomvandling och social organisation: försörjning och livsformer fristående, HT2021 (in Swedish)
- Samläsning Etnologi A3 normal och Föreställningsvärldar: tro och ritual fristående, HT2021 (in Swedish)
- Samläsning Etnologi B1 normal och Uttrycksformer: berättelser och berättande fristående, HT2021 (in Swedish)
- Samläsning Etnologi B2 normal och Kulturvetenskapliga perspektiv och analysmetoder fristående, HT2021 (in Swedish)
- Samläsning Etnologi C1 och Teoretiska perspektiv och metodologisk tillämpning fristående, normal och distans, HT2021 (in Swedish)
- Etnologi C2 och delkursen Från undersökning till text (in Swedish)
- Samläsning Kulturantropologi A1 normal och Tänk som en antropolog! En introduktion fristående, HT2021 (in Swedish)
- Samläsning Kulturantropologi A2 normal och Genus och sexualitet fristående, HT2021 (in Swedish)
- Samläsning Kulturantropologi A3 normal och Antropologiska perspektiv på ekonomi: Om kohandel och kapitalism fristående, HT2021 (in Swedish)
- KuSE Introduktionskurs 5KA600 KA60A HT2021 (in Swedish)
- Introductory course for master students in Cultural Anthropology and Ethnology 5EE420 EE420 HT 2021
- Advanced Study of Anthropological Theory 5KA401 52013 HT2021
- Contemporary Issues in Medical Anthropology 5KA425 52011 HT2021
- Ethnography 5KA426 52016 HT2021
- Etnologisk vetenskapssyn 5EE400 52313 HT2021(in Swedish)
- Joint Section Master's Thesis in Ethnology/Cultural Anthropology, 45.0 hp ht21
First Cycle Studies
- Joint section African Studies A1 och African History, Culture and Society, spring semester 2022
- Samläsning vt22 Etnologi A1 och Etnologi och folkloristik - en introduktion (in Swedish)
- Samläsning vt22 Etnologi C1 och Teoretiska perspektiv och metodologisk tillämpning (in Swedish)
- Samläsning vt22 Kulturantropologi A1 och Tänk som en antropolog! En introduktion (in Swedish)
- Samläsning vt22 Kulturantropologi B1 och Antropologi i tid och rum: en idé- och teorihistorisk översikt (in Swedish)
- Samläsning vt22 Kulturantropologi B2 och Homo politicus: etnografiska perspektiv (in Swedish)
- Swedish Society and Everyday Life, spring semester 2022
Second Cycle Studies
Have you changed your mind, or been prevented?
Terminate a course
If you decide to terminate a course, you do that in Ladok for students. It is important that our teachers will know if you will attend to a course or not; and important so that another student can be notified of a possible admission.
If you terminate a course before three weeks have passed since the course started, it will be an early break. You can apply for the course again.
If you terminate a course later than three weeks after the start of the course, you will not be able to apply for the course again. If you want to resume your studies at a later time, you can contact the department directly and be re-registered if there is an available place.
Terminate a programme
If you want to terminate a programme, you must report it to the department. If you wish to have a grade on a course / module before you terminate the programme, the grad must be registered before you report to the department. Anyone who has terminated a programme and wants to study the programme again must apply for the programme again.
Information that need to be e-mailed to the department when terminating a programme:
I want to terminate the programme [name of the programme]
Student: [social security number] and [first and last name]
Termination from [YYMMDD]
Academic leave of absence
If you want to apply for an academic leave of absence, there is a special form for that: Application form for leave of absence Pdf, 115 kB.. The director of studies grants or rejects. The form need to be e-mailed to the department.
Students at the English Park Campus, Uppsala
Course administrator Angelika Holm
+46 18 471 22 13
Students at Campus Gotland and distance courses in ethnology
Master's Programme in Sustainable Destination Development
You are welcome to visit the department's website.
In the calendar you will find our interesting research seminars. You can also read about all our educations - First Cycle Studies, Second Cycle and PhD Studies