Study abroad

As a student in the Faculty of Science and Technology, you have the opportunity to place some of your studies abroad.

  • Agreements available for all students at Uppsala University
  • Agreements available at the Faculty of Science and Technology
  • Agreements in a specific subject or at one of the faculty departments

Depending on where you want to go and what you want to study there might be different offers, so familiarize yourself with the different opportunities.

Note that different agreements can have different requirements and selection processes.

Agreements for all students att Uppsala University

Chose between universities all over the world with a wide variety of subjects.

Agreements at the Faculty of Science and Technology.

For you who want to study courses within science and technology abroad.

Agreements at a specific department or subject

When you have a specific subject area you want to study abroad.

Application period for exchange studies

The regular application period for the autumn and coming spring term is 15 January–15 February.

Any remaining places for the spring semester can be applied for 15 August–15 September.

Please note that other dates and application procedures apply to the university-wide exchanges.

How to apply

When can I go?

The possibility for exchange studies is often determined by your programme. At the time of application you should have studied at least one full-time semester at Uppsala University. At the time of departure you should have completed at least one academic year of full-time studies.

Credit transfer

The ground rule for exchange studies is that you must transfer credit towards your planned degree, even if there is some flexibility in this. The degree requirements of the program determine what course credits you can transfer. You will find the exam requirements in your programme syllabus.

Study in English

If you want to study the study language to be english during an exhange in a non-english-speaking country, you are usually bound to study courses at Master's level. In this case, previous studies corresponding to a Bachelor's degree are usually required.

Figure out to which country and university you want to make your exchange at. Find out which courses you would like to study during the exchange. Plan course proposals for full-time studies corresponding to 30 ECTS.

Depending on what you want to study and where you want to go there might be different available opportunities. At the top of the page you can find opportunities given by Uppsala University, the Faculty of Science and Technology or one of its departments.

Note that different higher education institutions in the world may have specific eligibility requirements or restrictions in what you can study. Make sure that your course proposal matches the agreement you are interested in.

You can apply for up to four exchanges in the same application. These can be both faculty and departmental agreements. Exchange agreements open for application can be found in the application form in Moveon during the application period.

The application must contain:

  • Curriculum vitae (CV)
  • Academic Purpose Statement - for your first choice. Must be written in the language of instruction.
  • Course suggestions - for all your choices, planned for full-time studies
  • Result certificate
  • Certificate of participation as buddy during welcome reception. I you have participated in the welcome reception of masters- and exchange students you get double credits in the selection process. This does only apply to exchange agreements from the Faculty of Science and Technology and it's departments.

After the application is closed, a selection is made of students who are then nominated for exchange. How the course proposals fit into the exchange agreement is taken into account.

The recipient university generally accepts the nominations made by Uppsala University but assesses the student's eligibility for the selected courses.

If you are nominated, you will receive information on how to apply to the recipient university.

When you have been on an exchange via the Faculty of Science and Technology or one of its departments, you shall fill in an exchange report in Moveon. We expect you to participate in information meetings for new students and can share your experiences.

Good to know

  • If you are going on an exchange within the ERASMUS program, you need to apply for the scholarship according to instructions that are sent out automatically.
  • All students who go on an exchange are insured via the Chamber of Deputies' insurance Student-OUT.
  • Visas and residence permits in the recipient country are the student's own responsibility to check.

Question regarding exchange studies?

  • For general exchange questions, you can meet the faculty's international coordinator in drop-in via Zoom during term time every Monday at 16.00–17.00.

  • You can also meet with counsellors for questions regarding exchange studies on Wednesdays between 12:30-15:00 via drop-in at campus Ångström room 100187.

  • You can also contact a study counsellor who can answer how an exchange affects your studies and suggest things to think about.