Erasmus Traineeship in the UK

The United Kingdom left the EU between 31 January and 1 February 2020. Uppsala University has funding for Erasmus trainees who will complete their traineeship by 31 May 2023.

Students carrying out an Erasmus+ traineeship in the UK must apply for a T5 Visa. The first step is that you apply and get accepted for the Erasmus Traineeship Grant. You need to submit your Erasmus Traineeship application at least 3 months before your planned start date.

If you are accepted for an Erasmus traineeship grant, Uppsala University needs to apply for a so-called Certificate of Sponsorship before you can apply for the T5 visa. The Certificate of Sponsorship number needs to be attached to your visa application. Please find more information about the Certificate of Sponsorship on British Council’s webpage. You find information about how you apply for the T5 visa, Immigration Health Surcharge etc. on the British Government Webpage.

If you plan to carry out an Erasmus traineeship in the UK, it is important that you contact us and applies in time. You need to consider the following in your time plan:

  • Erasmus Traineeship Grant process (up to 1 month after you submit your complete Erasmus traineeship application in MoveON)
  • The time it will take for you to gather the documentation for the Certificate of Sponsorship
  • The time needed for Uppsala University to complete the Certificate of Sponsorship application after receiving your documentation (2 weeks)
  • Receiving an acceptance of the Certificate of Sponsorship from the British Council (up to 4 weeks after Uppsala University submit the application)
  • T5 Visa Application process (up to 3 weeks after you submit the application)

Please send an email to or contact us via the Zoom drop-in when you have submitted your application.

Immigration Health Surcharge and reimbursement

If you travel to the UK and plan to stay longer than 6 months, you must pay for healthcare (the so-called Immigration Health Surcharge). You must include this as part of you visa application.Information about the Immigration Health Surcharge can be found on the UK’s Government’s website.

In some cases, student can apply for an Immigration Health Surcharge reimbursement. You can read more about reimbursement for students on the UK’s Government’s website.