eduPrint – copy, print and scan
eduPrint is the common printing system at Uppsala university, available for staff, students and visitors. With eduPrint you can print, copy and scan your documents.
When you print with eduPrint you do not send your print-out to a specific printer. Instead, your document is stored in a central printing queue. After printing your document you can collect your print-out at any eduPrint printer at our university. When you collect your print-out it gets deleted from the printing queue. If the print-out is not collected after three days it will be deleted.
Get started with eduPrint
You need the following to use eduPrint
- an active student account
- funds on your printing account
- an eduPrint printer installed on your computer, tablet or smartphone.
Add funds to your printing account
In order to use eduPrint you need to add funds to your printing account. You do that in the eduPrint-portal by activating a printing coupon or making a credit card payment.
Printing coupons are sold at the receptions at BMC, Blåsenhus, Carolina Rediviva, Ekonomikum, Engelska parken, the Segerstedt buildning and Ångström. Coupons are available at 20 kr, 50 kr, 100 kr and 200 kr, but all values may not be available at all receptions.
Image: The eduPrint-portal with the options for printing coupons and credit card payments marked in red.
Installing the printer
When printing in eduPrint there are three different printers to choose from, with different advantages and disadvantages:
- eduPrint-UU - gives you the most functionality, but can only be used with a computer.
- mob-colour-UU - an airprint printer with less functions and options but that works with smartphones and tablets. Can sometimes treat b&w as colour, see more below.
- mob-black-UU - the same as mob-colour-UU, but only for b&w-printouts.
NOTE: In order to install and use eduPrint you need to be connected to the eduroam WiFi. eduPrint does not work if you use the UpUnet-S or UU-Guest WiFi networks.
Instead of installing a printer on your device, you can use any of the student- and library computers on campus for printing.
- Simultaneously press the ”Windows”-key and the ”R”-key.
- Insert the complete row of the information below in the box:
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /in /n \\edp-uu-prn01.user.uu.se\eduPrint-UU
- Press ”OK”
- If your encounter an error, please make sure you are connected to the eduroam network.
- In the following dialogue box, enter your student-ID appended with @user.uu.se and password A. Tick the check box "Remember my authentication credentials" so that you don't have to enter your password again the next time you need to print.
- The printer will now be added to your computer. It might take a few minutes before the installation is complete.
- Click the eduPrint_uu.pkg link to download the installation file.
- Open the downloaded file.
- Click "Continue" to get started with the installation, and then "Continue" once more.
- Accept the default installation location and start the installation by clicking "Install".
- Enter username and password for your computer and select "Install Software".
- Click "Close" when the installation is complete.
The eduPrint printer installation is now complete.
The first time you print you will be asked for login credentials to use the printer. Enter you student account and password A. Tick the check box "Remember this password in my keychain" to enable automatic login when printing.
- The install script supports RedHat, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Debian and Ubuntu. If you have some other distribution you can still install eduPrint, but you will have to follow the steps performed by the script manually. By reading the script you will see what needs to be done.
- The install script presumes you can administer your computer with the sudo command. If this is not the case, you can instead log in as root and run the script.
- Linux development is fast, and new versions are often released several times a year. Unfortunately, we do not have resources to test the install script for all new versions, and the script might not work on your particular installation even though you have one of the supported distributions.
Installation of the eduPrint printer:
- Download the installation package and unpack it in a suitable location.
- Open a terminal window and run the installation script install-eduprint.sh in the unzipped folder. The script will make sure you are running a supported distribution and then install the necessary dependencies and add the printer eduPrint-UU.
When printing, the computer will ask for your log in details. Enter USER\ followed by your student ID and password A. If your linux installation has a key chain you can save your credentials in there so that you don't have to enter them every time you print.
Installing mob-black-uu and mob-colour-uu
If basic functionality is enough, or if you want to print from your smartphone or tablet, you can use the airprint printers mob-black-UU and mob-colour-UU. The airprint printers work with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and Chrome OS, instructions can be found here.
NOTE: Due to technical reasons the airprint printer in some situations create black by mixing the colours yellow, cyan and magenta. In this case the printout technically becomes a colour printout and is charged as such. Therefore you should use mob-black-uu unless you specifically want to print in colour. The eduPrint-UU printer does not have this issue.
Send printouts by email or web upload
If you need to send a print job from a location where you can not print directly from your computer or smartphone you can print a document via e-mail or by uploading it in the eduPrint portal. If you send your document by e-mail you must send it from your student email, as the sender address is used to determine what user the print job belongs to.
NOTE: This is not meant to be your normal way of printing. It is only intended to be used on the odd occasions when using the ordinary eduPrint-printers above is not possible. You can make no settings for the print-out, and there is a limit on how large the documents can be.
Send your print-out by email
Send your document as an email attachment to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org depending on wether you want to print in black&white or in colour. When you get a confirmation email that your document has been received, you can fetch it at any eduPrint printer. The maximum size of the document is about 15 MB.
Upload your print-out in the eduPrint portal
Log in at eduprint.uu.se and select "Web Print" in the menu to the left. Click the "Submit a job" button, select colour or black&white, and click the "Print options and Account Selection" button. Upload the file(s) you want to print and click "Upload & Complete". The maximum size of the document is 100 MB.
If you need help, please contact IT Service Desk by email or phone. Or you can contact your campus reception and they will refer you to the nearest IT support group. You find user guides at the eduPrint portal.
You can also take a look at the frequently asked questions about copying, printing and scanning.
IT Service Desk
018-471 44 00
Malfunction of an eduPrint device
If an eduPrint device is malfunctioning or needs paper refill, please contact your campus reception.