Application handbook for summer courses
As a student at Uppsala University you can take courses during summer at some of our selected partner universities.
In order to apply for summer courses through the International Office you will need to meet the following requirements
- You are registered for full time study at the time of application.
- You will have completed a minimum of 30 credits from Uppsala University by the time the summer course starts.
You are also responsible for assuring that you meet the prerequisites required by the hosting university for admission to the course you are applying for.
The application to a summer course abroad is submitted online. The link to the application portal is published on the Summer courses webpage.
You will need to upload the following documents in order to complete your application
- Proof of registration that you are registered for full time studies at Uppsala University. This can be obtained from the Studentportalen.
- Transcript of Records that show all your completed studies from Swedish universities.
- Graduation certificate if you have a Bachelor's degree from a non-Swedish university.
- Academic Purpose Statement (APS). your APS should be written in the language of instruction of the course you intend to apply to. It can be a maximum of 400 words.
- Upload any certificates if you have taken part in arranging welcoming activities for new students or if you have a valid certificate of being a student representative in certain central committees and councils, faculty boards or disciplinary domains or has had one of the selected nation posts.
The selection of applicants to the summer courses is based on the following criteria: grades, academic purpose and student engagement.
1. Grades 1-4 points
Total number of completed university credits. Count all your completed university credits where a passing grade or higher was obtained.
- 16% of the applicants with the least number of credits receives 1 point.*
- 34% of the applicants with the second least number of credits receives 2 points.*
- 34% of the applicants with the second highest number of credits receives 3 points.*
- 16% of the applicants with the highest number of credits receives 4 point.*
*If the applicants differ from a normal distribution bell curve adjusted percentage rates may be applied.
2. Academic Purpose Statement (APS) 1-4 points
The score on your APS is based on how well you have motivated your selection of countries, universities, courses and their impact on your future studies and career.
Points are awarded accordingly
- 1 point – APS is submitted but carries very little relevance for exchange studies.
- 2 points – Purpose is weak and/or deficient.
- 3 points – Purpose is clear and carries some academic/professional merit.
- 4 points – Exceptionally well motivated purpose with strong academic/professional relevance.
3. Student engagement
Additional credits is awarded/deducted in the following circumstances.
Students who have submitted certificates indicating their participation in welcoming programs for new students receive + 0,1 points.
Students with valid certificates of being a student representative in certain central committees and councils, faculty boards or disciplinary domains or has had one of the selected nation posts is rewarded with + 0,2 points in the application.
4. In case of equal score
In cases where two or more applicants have equal score, interviews or lottery will be used to determine the selection.
Before the start of the course
If you are nominated to one of our partners for their summer course you will be contacted by one of our officers in order to prepare a new application. If your course is subject to a scholarship our officer will provide you with information about the necessary application process.
Make sure are in contact with your host university for practical matters such as housing, admissions and arrival details.
During the course
Your insurance, Student UT, includes an emergency service.
Also make sure to save information about the course syllabus, content, examination process etc. This is useful if you wish to account for the credits in your degree.
After the course
Make sure you receive a certificate of completion of the course with a grade. This is provided by the hosting university. This is also necessary in order to apply for inclusion of the course in your degree from Uppsala University.
When you have completed the summer course, we would like you to write a summer course report. A link and instructions will be sent to you via email.