Long-term disability

If you have a long-term disability that may affect your studies, you can apply for targeted study support during your time at Uppsala University. The type of support you will receive is directly related to your studies and according to your needs. Support is planned in collaboration with you as a student.

What is a long-term disability?

A long-term disability might be reading and writing difficulties/dyslexia, mental disorders, neuropsychiatric disorders, hearing impairment, visual impairment, physical disabilities or chronic illnesses.

A disability is, according to the Discrimination Act (SFS 2008: 567), a:

permanent physical, mental or intellectual limitation of a person’s functional capacity that as a consequence of injury or illness existed at birth, has arisen since then or can be expected to arise.

If you have a temporary injury or illness, you are not covered by this support. If you need support during the period that you are injured or ill you should turn to your department's study counsellor.

Targeted study support

If your application is approved, the following support services may be available.

Note-taking support

If you are unable to take notes during lectures or other university lessons due to a disability, you can receive note-taking support. This is when one of your classmates takes and shares notes with you. Note-taking support does not replace attendance. You can only receive notes from lectures that you participate in.

You can either arrange this support yourself by asking fellow classmates, or by asking the study counsellor at your department to help you arrange a note-taker.

Audio books and braille

Students with reading difficulties are able to loan customised forms of course literature including audio books, braille books, or e-textbooks. The University Library's contact people will help you to order recordings of obligatory course literature. Books that are already recorded can be loaned directly. If you need to order a recording of a book, it can take up to twelve weeks to receive it. Therefore it is important that you contact the library early on in your studies if you would like to use audio books or adapted literature.

Support available at the libraries

Swedish Agency for Accessible Media (MTM)

Adjusted examinations

Do you need examinations adjusted to suit your needs, such as having extended time for written examples? The adaptation of exams are decided by the responsible department.

Examination centre for students with special needs: At Klostergatan 3 in Uppsala, there is an examination centre for students with special needs. There are 13 individual rooms and two smaller rooms for examination for a total of 38 student.

Individual study plan

If you need to study at a lower rate, due to your disability, please contact your study counsellor. Together, you can discuss your options and if possible, make an individual study plan suited to your needs and capabilities.

Sign language interpreter and interpreter

The university is responsible for deaf, deaf blindness and students with hearing impairment receiving sign language interpreters (Swedish sign language) or writing interpreters (spoken Swedish-Swedish text, spoken English-English text) in all types of teaching. As a student you can get an interpreter for everything that is related to your studies; lectures, lessons, study visits, group work, seminars and more.


If you have a disability, you can get a mentor to help you with your studies. You will receive regular contact with your mentor, to the equivalent of one hour a week. A mentor can help with the planning and structuring of your studies and can work as an advisor in study situations. A mentor can also help to organise and prioritise certain tasks. Mentoring can last for one or more semesters.

Support from a fellow student

A fellow student can act as a guide for those with visual impairments who initially need help finding their way around the campus area, such as in lecture halls and libraries.