What to do if you fall ill during your studies


If you fall ill you should call 1177 for medical advice. This service is free of charge, and by calling this number you will speak with a qualified nurse who can instruct you on where to turn for treatment. This number can be called 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Advice will be offered in either Swedish or English.

If you fall ill as a student you should also contact Försäkringskassan the first day of your illness. If you are ill longer than 14 days, a certificate from your doctor is required.

Note! If you are calling from a foreign phone number dial +46 771 11 77 00.

In cases of extended illness, please inform your department and speak to a study and career counsellor about how to make up for the time you have missed.

Online healthcare advice

At 1177.se you can find advice, information, inspiration and eServices relating to your health and healthcare.


112 is the emergency phone number in Sweden. By calling this number you can contact the ambulance service, police or fire department.

Student Health Service

Life as a student can be stressful and challenging at times, especially if you are far away from home. At Uppsala University, we think that is it important that our students get the support they need and if you are finding student life tough at any point in your studies, there is always somebody to turn to. If you are struggling with your studies or facing any study related health issues, we advise you to someone about it early on. Please note that in Sweden it is not stigmatising to ask for help.

If at any point during your time in Uppsala find that life is tough, you can turn to the Student Health Services. There you can meet counsellors or psychologists. The Student Health Services also offer workshops on issues such as how to handle stress as a student.

Last modified: