Do you have any complaints or wish to give feedback?

If you would like to make a complaint or give feedback about your courses, programme or study environment, there are several steps that you can take.

Before you proceed with making a complaint, you should know what applies in different situations. Student rights and obligations at Uppsala University are described in detail in the Guidelines for the students' working conditions. These guidelines address the rights and responsibilities that you as a student have in areas such as study environment, student influence, course planning, teaching and examination.

Your course syllabi describe and govern the direction, structure, content and intended learning outcomes of your courses. You are always welcome to contact the study counsellor at your department to learn more about this.

I have a complaint – where do I turn?

Complaints can involve matters such as grading, attendance, supervision, quality of education, and handling times. If possible, a complaint should be handled and resolved directly by your department or faculty. In most cases, the problem can be solved closest to where it has occurred.

Exactly who you as a student should turn to in this instance can depend on the faculty or department that you belong to. At each department you will find teachers, programme coordinators, directors of study, study counsellors, course administrators and others, and all of them should be able to provide you with support and guidance.

In cases where the problem cannot be solved at departmental-level, there are other functions in place to assist you. The Student Union has a student ombudsman (studentombud) and safety representatives (studerandeskyddsombud). There are also student liaison officers (studiebevakare) located at each faculty who can help to mediate your contact with the university.

Contact alternatives

Do you need to make an appeal?

Were you not admitted to your programme or course of choice? Do you feel that a decision regarding your studies is incorrect? Some decisions can be appealed to the Higher Education Appeals Board (Överklagandenämnden för universitet och högskolor). If an appeal is possible, you should be apprised of it together with the decision. In addition, other decisions, except the decision on grades, can be appealed to the Board if you believe they violate the prohibition against discrimination under the Discrimination Act.

Last modified: